Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chicagoans like young boys

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/1102583,CST-SPT-hawk12.article

Chicagoans? Is that what people from Chicago are called? Anyway...The Blackhawks have sold over 500,000 tickets for next year, which is 300 times more tickets than at this point last year...and that doesn't include the outdoor game. Pretty impressive. They must really like young boys.

I, for one, am psyched that hockey is back in a big way in Chicago. Chicago is such a great sports town and it is great for the NHL that hockey is on the radar once again...possibly for the first time since Jeremy Roenick took the hockey video game world by storm in NHL 94.

I think it will be most interesting to see where the Lightning finish this year, but Chicago will also be pretty intriguing to watch. Even if they aren't towards the top of the standings, both teams will be getting lots of time on my CenterIce package.

What does everyone think about the Campbell signing by Chicago?

4 comments:

Swivelhead said...

It would be great for hockey if the Blackhawks and Bruins can both become relevant again. This is good news.

Campbell will be his normal self for Chicago. Good offensively and average defensively. He will have good numbers (he will get probably 30 second assists by skating the puck into the offensive zone on the PP and then giving it to Kane - had to throw that in). But the money is ridiculous for a guy that can't match up against top forwards.

By the way, my summer league team beat Kane's team in the playoffs on Sunday night. He was super pissed.

Mags said...

I think its great that they did the outdoor game because I think the problem with Chicago (like Boston) is that there is zero buzz about hockey. According to Keith they suffer from a boring arena in a bad location.

There situation is almost identical to Boston. Once Chicago Stadium went away so did hockey. Same with the Boston Garden.

Chicago will be very fun to watch this year which leads to another question....outside of Boston, Buffalo and NYR, what teams will you watch this year? Rank in order of most fun in your opinion.

For me:
Detroit
Washington
Pitt
Chicago
Tampa Bay

Swivelhead said...

Other than the usual suspects that Mags listed, I always like watching Ottawa and Philly, even though I hate both teams with a passion. They can score and play with some grit. I also like watching San Jose and Montreal.

Ogie Oglethorpe said...

Interesting point about the B's and Hawks and their new arenas. They definitely both lost some of their aura when that happened.

In terms of teams I'm planning to watch this year besides the Rangers, my list will look like this (in order but with modifications based on the guys I draft to play on the MotherPuckers):

1.Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin so exciting)
2.Chicago (Kane/Toews/Campbell should be run and gun)
3.Washington (Ovechkin alone makes them fun to watch, but Green, Semin and Backstrom are awesome too..Poti sucks)
4.Detroit (So good that they are almost boring to watch...but not quite)
5.Tampa Bay (Lecav & Stamkos, but not much of interest to me besides them)
6.Philly (Richards & Downie--love the intensity)

Teams that bore me, especially when I try to watch their games on
TV:
Preds, Canes, Panthers, Kings, Devils, Coyotes, Wild, Blues, Leafs (now that Sundin is gone, Bruins (Just something low budget about the NESN broadcast quality that makes me turn the games off)

Teams I find myself watching when one of the top 6-7 aren't playing: Isles (love laughing at them), Sabres, Habs, Flames, Canucks, Sens, Sharks (definitely less now that Riss is gone though).