Friday, August 15, 2008

Inspired by Phelps

Yesterday we started discussing Team Canada for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. But after seeing the greatest American Olympian ever win his 6th Gold of the Beijing Games (2 more to go) and his 12th Gold overall, I am inspired to talk Team USA for the 2010 Games.

The American team could go any number of ways. They could go with an extremely young lineup to give them experience for future international play. They could go with an older lineup full of experience. Or they might end up somewhere in between. But there are less shoe-ins for the Americans than the Canadians or Russians, so everyone's team will probably look different. Let's see some comments.

3 comments:

Swivelhead said...

My Team USA:

Kane Stastny Mueller
Brown Gomez Parisi
Malone Kessel Higgins
Umberger Drury Dubinsky
Cole Gaustad Grier

(if Kessel doesn't have a stellar year this year, I'd replace him with Connolly or Legwand)

Rafalski Martin
Komisarek Whitney
Suter Gill
Johnson Johnson

Miller
DiPietro
Thomas (or whoever else is a starting NHL goaltender)

Mags said...

I can't stand to even see Gill's name on that roster. Need to replace him with someone, maybe Ballard. Maybe Hainsey depending on how he plays this year. Just no Gill.

I would put O'sullivan over Cole, Grier and Gaustad. He should have a very big year, would not be surprised to see him in the top 9.

Rolston may be a decent veteran for the team. Think Gionta has a chance?

Swivelhead said...

I'll admit that I don't like Gill on the team. But I think he could serve a very important purpose against very big Canadian and Russian forwards (and Jagr, who will be a force in the Olympics). If I took him out I might add Tom Gilbert from the Oilers, who is big and strong and good defensively. Mabye Hainsey. I think Ballard would struggle.

And the purpose of that Cole/Gaustad/Grier line is to beat the snot out of defenseman. They are the energy line that would get only a few shifts per game. (I think in the Olympics you can dress more than 4 lines). I don't think O'Sullivan could fill that role.

I had Rolston on the team but took him off for Dubinsky. If Rolston lights the lamp again this year I might be inclined to put him back on.